Springtime rings in warmer weather, as well as family fun outdoors to enjoy bike rides, BBQs and ball games. For the 50 million Americans who suffer from all types of allergies, springtime also kicks off allergy season. A healthy immune system is the best way to fight off sickness throughout the year, but what are the best ways to combat the runny nose, watery eyes and overall congestion that wreak havoc on so many? Dr. Travis Stork, ER physician and host of the Emmy® award-winning talk show “The Doctors,” has partnered with Church & Dwight Co., Inc., the maker of ARM & HAMMER™ Simply Saline™ nasal mists to share his Top Five Tips to Ring in Spring for a healthy & congestion-free season.
- · Keep it Simple and Natural. Nearly 43% of adults are congested year-round. The overuse of over-the-counter nasal decongestants can actually cause your congestion to return much worse than when it first appeared. Using products that are drug-freeand derived from natural ingredients, such as ARM & HAMMERTM Simply SalineTM Nasal Mists, can be extremely effective in clearing nasal congestion without side-effects.
- · Know When to Work Out. Staying active and exercising for at least 30 minutes a day is a great way to fight off illness, but for allergy sufferers, be sure to plan workouts accordingly. Pollen counts are highest between 5am-10am, so it’s best to plan a time of day when pollen levels are a bit lower.
- · Allergy-Proof the House. Allergens exist indoors and outdoors, so take steps to make your home allergy-proof. A simple way to keep allergens at bay is to wipe your feet and take off your shoes when entering the home. You can also prevent mold by keeping the indoor air dry with a dehumidifier and remove allergens by cleaning the floors with a vacuum that has a HEPA (high-efficiency particulate air) filter.
- · Mind the Kids. Congestion-causing allergens are everywhere – on the bus, in the park, on our clothes and even in our hair. To avoid any impact on your family fun this spring – especially for the little ones – keep congestion remedies on hand, like ARM & HAMMER™ Simply Saline™ Baby Nasal Relief for both infants and kids.
- · Wash Away Those Allergens. Suffer from allergies? Don’t ditch your favorite outdoor hobby, ditch the allergens stuck to clothes, bedding and bags. After a day in the garden, at the ballpark or family picnic, remember to wash clothes, bedding and bags as often as needed.